Thursday, October 18, 2012

31 Days of Order/Disorder, Day 18


ORDER:
 I think I've shown this before on my blog, right after I hung it up, but sometimes systems I think will work for us really don't. This one did, so I thought it was worth throwing out there to the internet world again. Admittedly, it is not the most tidy looking thing, but I can do "tidy" when the kids get older and are more capable of maintaining that type of system. Right now, if they have to put it in a drawer or cupboard, and in a specific spot, bin, or container inside said drawer or cupboard....well, let's just say "close enough" is their philosophy.

This system solved many of our school supply organization problems, except for one--illusive scissors. It didn't seem like it mattered how many pair of scissors we started the school year with, by about the 4th week in, they had all vanished into thin air. Thin air, I tell you. I consider myself a fairly patient person, but when it comes time to cut out the picture of Noah's ark and not ONE of the SIX pair that should be in the bucket can even be located, I get a little testy.

So I tied two pair of the scissors to the bucket. I realize you might be thinking "does this lady not realize she tied the scissors to the bucket with ribbon...that they could simply cut with the scissors??" Oh yes, I do. My kids are not (normally) diabolical. They're just forgetful. So this simple physical reminder works. (That and the promise that things will not go well with them if they EVER cut that ribbon.)

DISORDER:
This is from a teeny tiny room under our stairs that houses our furnace. It is all of those weird miscellaneous things you might need to maintain an old house--our miniature hardware store, of sorts. There are some things in this little room that are quite organized, but the battery basket....yeah, not so much. I think it is partially because the kids tunnel thru this basket looking to replace the batteries in the Wii, a flashlight, or any number of their battery-sucking toys. I haven't come up with a better way to store these. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

losekesd said...

Andy tapes batteries together. so it's just a strip of tape with a little wrapped around the edge one on each side. We also don't have as many batteries, but they are in a basket like that too. An idea would be just take them out of the package. that would take up so much less space and look better. you can tell which they are by the sizes too.

sheldonanddenise said...

This has been a thorn in our flesh on many levels! The final decision was made that daddy was the keeper of the batteries and NO ONE was allowed to get any out! I was tired of the boys switching out the batteries in the wii remotes and putting the old batteries back in the basket!!! Grrrr! We never knew if the batteries were good or bad. I did not want another thing to micro-manage, so they just have to wait until daddy gets home to get fresh batteries.