Monday, May 3, 2010

Why Moms Get Gray Hair

It was, without a doubt, a Tuesday I will never forget. It started with me having a touch of the stomach flu the weekend before. Tuesday around noon I decided to lie down on the couch for a bit. Chatterbox was doing her schoolwork, and the other 2 were upstairs doing something, and although I didn't know exactly what, I figured, "How much trouble can they possibly get into in 20 minutes?" (Yes, this thought actually went thru my mind....famous last words.)

And really, it isn't unusual for Drama Queen to play for an hour or two upstairs with her babies or Barbies, completely entertaining herself. I should have known better with Big Brother in the mix. But they were quiet, and I really just needed a little rest.

Somewhere between completely awake and completely asleep, I heard the two of them come bounding down the stairs. I opened my eyes to the jolly comment, "Look Mom, we're both ready to go out and play T-ball!" And there they were. Big Brother and Drama Queen dressed in T-ball shirts, boys' shorts, and the biggest, proudest smiles on both of their faces! I'm not completely awake at this point. And I remember commenting on how cute they looked, and thinking, "I don't remember pulling her hair back into a pony tail this morning...Brother must have done it?......Man, he did a REALLY good job getting it all pulled back........." And then it hit me.

That wasn't a pony tail. That was NO HAIR. I'm quite sure my face made an immediate U-turn. I turned to Brother and exclaimed, "DID YOU CUT HER HAIR???????" to which he replied, smiling and proud as could be, "YES!" And when he saw my HORROR, HIS face made an immediate U-turn.

I don't remember clearly what happened next. I do remember freaking out. I sent Brother to his room for fear that I might do something I would regret later on. I called DH and told him he had to come home...IMMEDIATELY. Apparently I acted so freaked out that he thought someone had been critically injured--like thrown out of a window or something. While we waited for him to arrive, all I could think when I looked at her head was, "It's gone. It's ALL GONE! All of it. G-O-N-E." She failed to see the point of the crisis, although she could certainly tell that Mom was freaking out.

Daddy arrived home, and was relieved to find out it was "only" her hair. ONLY HER HAIR????

THAT did not help.

Ready for some pictures???

Drama Queen 2 weeks before the incident:

Drama Queen 2 hours after the incident--before we took her to the hairdresser...who really couldn't do a whole lot:

Long story short...we survived. And found out the reason he cut her hair was because he thought she would get hot with her long hair when they went out to play T-ball. So really, he was trying to do her a favor. I mean really, who wants to be HOT when playing T-ball??? We always tell him that a brother's job is to take care of his sister. And I guess he was, in his own way.

BUT, we've also had a couple of long discussion about what to do when something SOUNDS like a really good idea in your head, but it goes against something else you've been told. When in doubt, ask Mom FIRST.

The funny part is there wasn't a stitch of hair anywhere but in the trash can. Apparently he thought Mom would be upset if he made a mess. Hmmmmm....

In the end, here's what we learned.
1. Silence is not golden. It is suspicious.
2. It is only hair, and it will grow back. It does not really constitute a crisis, although it seemed like it at the time. When you think of the things that COULD have happened, and some of the real trials other families are facing, this was barely a hiccup. (Ok, so DH was right.)
3. It has been a great opportunity to teach our children about their own reasoning skills.
4. DH and I have realized our son is like a lab puppy. If we don't keep him busy, he will find something on his own to do. So we're investing in a building set and a magic kit....or two or more. And I periodically ask him, "Are you going to do something constructive, or do I need to give you something to do?" (aka: a chore)
5. Sometimes, as a parent, you're given no choice in a situation but to deal with it. Ok, I don't like that. I like to be in control! Do you suppose this is training me for when they become teenagers??

Drama Queen, surprisingly, could care less about her hair.
So honestly, the only person that has suffered permanent damage from this whole thing is me. What was damaged? My mental health. But I am recovering.

Oh, and the rest of the week?? Well, Wednesday and Thursday we waged war on a mouse in the house. (That's a whole different story--you don't know how much I HATE MICE IN MY HOUSE. To say they are disgusting would be like saying Brother just gave Drama Queen a little trim.) I bought 12 traps, a bag of coarse steel wool, a roll of screen, and a can of "Great Stuff". Those of you who have waged the same kind of war know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

And Friday we woke up to Brother throwing-up in his bed, and then continuing to throw-up constantly through 4 rooms in his effort to get to a toilet. Including a pit stop to throw up in MY bathroom sink. It was un-be-lieve-a-ble. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, but I DID measure the throw-up trail--45 feet. FORTY-FIVE FEET OF THROW-UP ON CREAM CARPET. Thank the Lord for my Bissell Little Green Machine. (Although now I think I need a replacement.)

While sucking up the last of the throw-up trail, I told Brother, "You've had quite the week, haven't you!"

He replied..."Yeah, I wonder what will happen TOMORROW!!"

Indeed.

And THAT is why Moms get gray hair...and why my daughter has NONE!

3 comments:

Jennwhite said...

you are SO right about training for the teenage years. Better get over that control thing, dear. Wait till they come home with something pierced or tattooed. You can see why when DD bleached the bottom 4 inches of her mid-back length hair, then dyed it fuschia, I didn't freak. It could be worse :)

And yay for brother for being so thoughtful. It wouldn't even OCCUR to most men that long hair might be hot :)

Andrea Graves said...

ROTFLOL! Okay, you know what's funny? Your little girl still looks beautiful with the new do! :) And can I just say, that I totally understand! haha!

In fact, here are two pages (my early days of digi, so beware, lol) that are a few experiences we had:

Who Me?
http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=32426&title=who-me-3f&cat=all

follow up page:
What the Mom has learned:
http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=33212&title=who-me-3f28follow-up-pag&cat=all

And the 45 feet of throw up, wowie! You WAY have me beat on that. That is ::really:: bad stuff! At least you had the bissel! eeeek!

I think you need to tell your hubby to let you have a day at the spa, or retail therapy to act as your reward to surviving this week!

And.... you ::have:: to scrap this whole new hair do! I can't wait to see how you do it! haha!

HUGS

xoxo

~Andrea :)

Anonymous said...

First - sorry for your awful week. But I had to laugh out loud when I read your post. Years ago when my husband was deployed, I decided to go to the bathroom while my children watched TV for a few minutes alone. They were both under 6 years. I came out, literally 4 minutes later, to a trail of long, brown hair all through my house. I cried as my daughter proudly said "I pretty mommy". My son said "Well I didn't do it". (sigh) They are teens now and the hair grew back prettier than ever. I, on the other hand, am on a first name basis with Clairol! Enjoy your kids!!