Monday, August 10, 2009

Our favorite summer thing


Ask my kids what their favorite part of summer is. You might think they would say swimming, or playing outside. Nope. It is the Jr. Naturalist program at the wildlife refuge down the road. This once-a-week program has my kids hiking to the top of a "mountain" to feel some dirt, pouring vinegar on rocks, listening for birds, hunting for (and holding) snakes (yes, its true, and I have the pictures to prove it), holding and examining frogs, categorizing clouds, collecting leaves (and snails), and you just might find them all crouched over a little tub of water with a crawdad in it...examining how its gills work. (And this is just a sampling of the things they've done!) They can't wait for it to be Jr. Naturalist night! And to be honest, I think I enjoy it (and learn from it) as much as they do! Now THIS is what learning is all about!

No comments: